Wednesday, 16 May 2012

French Provencal Side Table ~Homemade Chalk Paint....again~



The other day my husband and I were in the car heading home and I spotted this lovely but tired side table on the curb.
I yelled "STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!", the car came to a screeching halt,
and she became mine :)



Nice curves and very feminine, she is my kind of girl.
 
I love spring cleaning...it's not because I like to clean (believe me)but a lot of people want to get rid of their unwanted stuff and such a pretty piece of furniture ends up on the curb. For a girl like me who is always on the hunt for a nice piece of furniture, it's a very good thing.

This time, I mixed some paints to make my own colour and made that into a chalk paint *again*.
I love homemade chalk paint, it's easy to apply, easy to manipulate and breeze to distress and the finish is just lovely.
Here is my recipe for chalk paint if you are interested.

I gave her a goooood cleaning and fixed some dents, and added the same wall paper I used for this dresser on the top and the front.
For the protection of the top surface, Wipe-On-Poly
was applied and the entire piece was waxed to smooth finish.
Also handles were hand-painted and distressed.



Isn't she pretty again?


Mmmmmm these legs.....



It had chippy surface to begin with and instead of sanding,I decided to leave them as is, because it gives the piece  more character and I definitely love it this way :)









I still have this paint left so I'm off to finish another side table.

Thank you for stopping by!

Sayuri


Sharing at :


                                                


                                        shabby creek cottage
 OurDIYDiaries
                                                 
                                                  Furniture Feature Fridays  



Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special

26 comments:

  1. I love this! You're right... it's a similar table to mine. The paper on the drawers looks so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cynthia,the details are different but the shape is almost the same.I love both of them :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Sayuri, this is really beautiful. As you know I love blue and the design on the paper is perfect, this really all goes well with each other, another nice job.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, thank you! Me too, I love blue, it's my most favorite colour. Thank you for your nice comment:D

      Delete
  3. Talk about a transformation! I love the color and the lacey detail. It is beautiful. I would love to have you link it at our party.

    http://www.ourdiydiaries.com/2012/05/fab-not-drab-friday_10.html

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen, thank you for visiting and the comment. I'll be over to yours to link it up!

      Delete
  4. Sooo pretty, Sayuri. I can't believe someone dumped THAT on the side of the street. You're so lucky. GREAT MAKEOVER.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Candy! I know I was lucky to find this, right place at the right time....

      Delete
  5. you make me realize how very little talent i really have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, this one I had a vision right away and I think it turned out good,I'd love to see your creations Annmarie!

      Delete
  6. She's beautiful! So glad you saved her!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sharon, thank you!Me too I'm gald I found her!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ♥ the color and the wallpaper! Beautiful creation! Thanks for sharing ~ Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy, thank you for your nice comment!!

      Delete
  9. I love it - such nice soft color. I hope you don't mind if I add it to my Pinterest board.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maureen, of course I don't mind it and thank you for adding it to your Pinterest :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. She is beautiful, I love the color and her chippy-ness is fabulous! Would love for you to visit and follow me back too :)

    Tanya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tanya, thanks for visiting and nice comment!
      Don't we all love " chippy-ness"?lol
      It's so much easier to leave them as is and it looks better in the end,it's a win-win situation.
      I'll go over to your site now, thank you for following me :)

      Delete
  12. What an amazing find. your girl found a home where she will be much reloved. you did a fabulous makeover and the lacey wallpaper details adds so much personality to your side table.
    Bravo!
    rita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rita, thank you for your comment.
      I was lucky to be at the right place at the right time, I wish that happens more often :)

      Delete
  13. this is gorgeous. it only stopped you before, while on the curb. now it would stop everyone. i love what you did with the combination of paint and paper. sublimely, indescribably, deliciously, feminine.

    (isn't is strange, after shabby chic having been around for so long, that we still feel the need to explain that the chips are there *on purpose*? "yes, i saw them there. i want them there. it's part of the look." i do that, too.)

    blessings,
    ann

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Ann, thank you for your comment, you made me feel proud of my side table:)

    Yes, I still feel the need to explain about"the chippiness" lol
    I went to Winners ( I'm not sure you know the store?)yesterday where they sell lots of goodies and was pleasently surprised that most of the furniture they sell is chipped, distressed and aged look more than ever.I was glad to kind of "confirmed" that everybody loves that look.

    Have a great week Ann!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous side table. Aren't the legs soooo pretty. Glad you saved her. GREAT MAKEOVER.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Candy, yes, those legs....why do the curvy furniture legs appeal to us so much,I just can't resist,lol

      Delete
  16. Wonderful side table! ..and I'm your newest follower. I'll be glad if you follow me back.

    Hugs from Istanbul,
    Moniica.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Monica, thank you for stopping by and your commnet:)
      I'll be glad to follow you, see you there!!

      Delete