Wednesday, 23 January 2013

Gray Vintage Dresser

I finally finished this dresser :)

According to the date of *before* pictures,
( I usually take pictures right after I bring them home)
I've had this dresser since November 2011.




*Before*


It passed the winter in the shed with no heat and because of the moisture,
 drawers were stuck for a while....aaarrrggghhh!!!
So in the spring I decided to bring her inside hoping one day the drawers go back to its former shape and start moving.
A couple of months later, the drawers started to glide.
I gave a goooood waxing on the drawer guides and they started to slide nicely:)

Time to paint!


***towering inferno*** lol
You know when you have 9 drawers to paint, it's a lot.

I painted them in my usual homemade chalk paint.
First drawer in the picture is after it's glazed in darker gray.


Glaze gives a nice character:)

I painted the grooves in white, one by one.
I love to do these tiring little painting.
It never bothers me to do it, I just enjoy it:)

Then I spray-painted the handles and waxed the entire dresser.
Sounds so easy but it involved lots of sanding,wood filling,
 painting,glazing and waxing.
Took me a whole year to finish it......
(.....but it's because I often wander around to do some other projects...lol)

Also the backing had a little tear so my hubby replaced  the whole thing,
now it has a brand new backing:)
 It's in the back so no one will see it...but
Thank you darlin' !!




Anyway, here she is!!

I'm pretty happy how she turned out.











 



The back of this dresser is my kitchen.
I didn't design the cabinet but I did choose all the materials.
  and I love it:)
Glazed antique looking cabinet doors, crystal knobs....
It feels very special, especially when you have the opprtunity to
get involved in the project.


This is when the cabinets were being installed.


Granite counter tops were installed.
And here it is all finished:)
( corner cabinet glass was missing at that point)

Kitchen is the heart of a house and I'm blessed to have a kitchen that I love!
But now it's all messy from the cooking
 ( believe me, it doesn't look like this sparkling clean right now,lol)
so I'm going to clean it up.

Take care everyone!






Sharing at:




 

Furniture Feature Fridays

22 comments:

  1. What an amazing kitchen - my dream kitchen most definitely!!!
    And that dresser redo?
    It's stunning - absolutely stunning -
    Beautiful job!
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan!
      We built our house 3 years ago.
      It was very stressful time but I think it's worth every penny in the end:)

      Delete
  2. I love this dresser. The colors are perfect and the glaze was the perfect touch. Beautiful... And your kitchen is lovely.. So sad they can't look like that all the time, lol...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cathy!
      I'm glad you liked the dresser.

      Yes it's not easy to keep the kitchen nice & clean all the time.
      Someone should invent a *self-cleaning kitchen*...literally!! LOL

      Delete
  3. Your dresser redo is wonderful. I have stored pieces much longer than that before I got to them. It's never too late! I am thinking how I might use such a piece ss an island in my kitchen. I just redid a similar 9 drawer piece for my dining room and I absolutely love the storage as well as the finish. It's on my blog if you are curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tricia,

      This dresser has taken me the longest to finish,but yes, never too late:)
      I'd love to see your dresser I'll hop on over to see it!
      Thank you for stopping by:)

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous kitchen. Your chest turned out beautifully. Love the colors you used to bring it to life.
    Happy to be a new follower, Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary Alice, thank you for your nice comment:)

      Also thank you for following, I was kind of waiting the number to be 50 from 49, you've made my day!lol

      Delete
    2. This piece is gorgeous! One of my favorites of yours! I'm sure it feels like an accomplishment to have it complete!

      Have a great weekend as well Sayuri!

      Delete
    3. Hi Rachelle, thank you for such a nice comment:)
      Yes I'm happy that this dresser is finally finished!

      Delete
  5. Love it!! Good job on that dresser. I use chalk paint all the time, but have never made it myself. Looks like I need to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I use chalk paint most of the time( and I've started to use milk paint as well) ....I've never used commercial chalk paint though,I love my homemade version :)

      Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. I'm a new follower from Miss Mustard Seed and I love the dresser and your kitchen! I also use homemade chalk paint : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Taylor, thank you for joining me:)
      Isn't homemade chalk paint wonderful?
      Which method do you use? Mine is unsanded grout one and it's pretty good!

      Delete
  7. Wow! Your dresser turned kitchen island is amazing! What a difference paint, and all of your special techniques make, love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna!

      It's not dresser turned into a kitchen island,it's a dresser just sitting behind the island!lol

      Delete
  8. Very nice re-do on the dresser. Your kitchen turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maggie!!
      I appreciate your comment:)

      Delete
  9. What an amazing kitchen-so beautiful. I want to cook dinner in it!

    Small House / Big Sky Donna / White Oak Studio Designs / SW Michigan
    Hand-Painted Vintage Furniture Transformations
    Blog: http://smallhouseunderabigsky.wordpress.com
    Facebook: donnaallgaierlamberti@facebook.com (for portfolio of chalk painted work)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment!!
      I love my kitchen...but I don't enjoy cleaning though....lol

      Delete
  10. You are sooo . . . lucky to have a husband who paints. Alas, that task falls to me. Your home is beautiful and I especially love that kitchen. Patti@OldThingsNew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patricia,

      Thank you for your comment:)

      We had our house painted by professional painters but my hubby actually did some paintings before:)
      I do lots of paintings on furniture but never onto the walls....that makes me nervous...lol
      In the future if we have to paint the house, that'll be my husband's job:)
      Good luck to YOU on painting job!!

      Delete